Christian Care Manors 11830 N 19th Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85029

Seniors on Social Security

Paying for Senior Living

For seniors living on a low income, figuring out how to pay for Independent or Assisted Living can easily turn into a major source of stress if you don't know where to begin. However, you don't have to go through this alone. We are here to provide you with the guidance and support you need to make informed decisions about costs and payment options.

On this page, you will find information on government housing assistance programs available for seniors, the application process, download and print important documents, and learn about the application process.

We also encourage you to visit our Resources for Low-Income Seniors page for information on community-based support programs, including food and energy assistance.

Equal housing opportunity is afforded to all persons who meet HUD age restrictions of 62 or older (head or co-head of household) and who qualify under federal income standards.

Arizona Long Term Care System (ALTCS)

In Manor II Assisted Living, we accept both private pay and ALTCS benefits. ALTCS is the State of Arizona’s Medicaid program that provides long-term care services for individuals who are 65 or older, blind, or disabled and need ongoing skilled nursing services. However, program participants do not have to reside in a nursing home in order to receive benefits. Many ALTCS participants live in their own homes or an assisted living facility and receive the needed in-home services.

We work with all three ALTCS plan providers: United Health Care, Mercy Care, and Banner University Health Plans.

Applying for ALTCS benefits

The application process can take anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months. 

If you or your loved one are searching for Assisted Living and think you might qualify for ALTCS assistance, we strongly encourage you to review the program requirements and complete a "Request for Application for ALTCS" as soon as possible.

Download & Print:

icon click to download ALTCS Information and Application packet

Subsidized Independent Living in Phoenix

At Christian Care Manors I and III, we provide subsidized Independent Living for seniors under HUD's Section 202 program.

The US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)’s Section 202 program, Supportive Housing for the Elderly, was designed to increase the supply of affordable housing with supportive services for seniors.

Admission Qualifications for HUD-subsidized Senior Housing

1. The household's annual income may not exceed the very low-income limits set by the U.S. Dept. of HUD for the present year. For 2024, the very low-income limits set by HUD are $36,000 for a single person and $41,100 for a couple. (

2. The applicant agrees to pay the rent required by the subsidiary program under which the applicant will be admitted. (Residents typically pay 30% of their adjusted income for rent and utilities).

3. The unit will be the family's only residence.

4. Residents must be 62 years of age or older.

Download & Print

Icon click to download and print HUD Senior Housing application

Key Differences between HUD & ALTCS

While many of the program requirements are the same for both HUD and ALTCS, there are a few key differences that can create confusion when applicants are applying for both programs.

These are the top three differences:

Descriptive graphic of a calendar, Age Requirements

HUD and ALTCS each have their own age requirement to qualify for senior housing assistance and long-term care benefits.

HUD = 62 and older, ALTCS = 65 and older (assisted living for seniors)


Decorative icon, text reads: Financial Assistance & Benefit Coverage

HUD: Provides financial assistance for the senior’s dwelling. Residents typically pay 30% of their adjusted income for rent and utilities.

ALTCS: Provides financial assistance for the participant’s long-term care services, whether provided at home or in an ALTCS-approved assisted living or skilled nursing facility. ALTCS sets aside a certain amount each month for residents to use for incidentals, known as a ‘Personal Allowance’. In 2021, the amount set aside is $119.10/month.


Icon of State of AZ Residency Requirements

HUD is a federal program, so applicants must be US citizens but do not need to be Arizona residents to apply for assistance in Arizona.

ALTCS is Arizona’s own Medicaid program (different from the national Medicaid program). Applicants must be Arizona residents to qualify. *Note: you can start the ALTCS application process before moving to AZ, but to finish the process and be qualified, you must be an Arizona resident.

Online Resources for Senior Housing Assistance

JacksonWhite, Attorney at Law's guide: ALTCS & Other Programs that Pay for Long-Term Care

The US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Arizona Office

Arizona Long Term Care System (ALTCS)

Link and icon to download ALTCS information and applicationClick to download, print, or share

Fellowship Square Phoenix
Christian Care Manors 11830 N 19th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85029
PH: 602-833-5057

Schedule a Tour

Stay informed on how we're handling COVID-19.